I have a love-hate relationship with New Girl. On one hand, the writing has improved since the beginning and I genuinely enjoy the show most of the time. On the other hand, people ask me about it a lot. “A girl moves with three guys in LA after the demise of a relationship. Oh my God, it’s like your life!*”
*my life up until two months ago.
Answer: NO. Their apartment is too clean. They don’t live off of other people’s leftovers, abandoned in fridges at their various office day jobs. No one vomits in their shower. The girl is the one who brings in the strange street furniture. There are no dirty dishes. This is not real life.
Another comparison I get is as a “quirky girl.” Once, someone drunk even went as far as to call me a “manic pixie dream girl.” Not sure where that came from, although “manic girl” I get.
Game time. Warning: this one isn’t for newbies. It’s like 1,000 Ways to Die all over again…
Take a drink:
- Jess sings while speaking
- Jess says something in a funny voice
- Schmidt says something douche jar-worthy (i.e. talks about models, sex, wearing loafers).
- Jess can’t say a dirty word
- Jess tries to apply kindergarten teaching methods to adult life
- They’re hanging out in their weird locker room-style bathroom
- It’s cupcake time!
- Winston reminisces about his Eastern European basketball days
- Nick gets pissed at Jess: “Jess, you can’t just do that!” Ohhh, Jess!
- To quirky props
Take a shot:
- To deal with that theme song
- FAT SCHMIDT FLASHBACK!
- Ugh, Caroline is back
- When Jess and Nick finally hook-up.